Sunday 7 October 2012

Autism Playdate


    Today I did something that was completely out of my comfort zone. I went to a place I've never been before to see people I'd never met, in a group. A LONG way out of my comfort zone.

I had a great time. It was at a fully-fenced primary school with 12-ft fences and high locks. The kids had an absolute ball - it's the first time Cooper's been able to go off and play without me worrying and keeping my eyes on him all the time. I spent the first hour being paranoid because I couldn't see him, and after I'd done a full lap of the school, I stopped worrying and started enjoying myself.

I met a few lovely ladies, and some awesome kids too. Madd didn't get into any fights or arguments, and really enjoyed herself. She was exhausted and happy to leave by the end of it, but she was in a happy mood for the entire afternoon and night, AND went to bed when she was asked!!! Miracles all round.
For once, there were no mean kids picking on her, or telling her that she's weird. She fit right in, and had a great time. All the kids were lovely to her, and I'm really really grateful. VERY glad that we went.

I enjoyed having a chat to the mums, especially L who had a boy and a girl, and P who had a boy and two girls, and M who had 2 girls. All the kids were lovely, and amazing kids.
The day went without a hitch - only a few minor meltdowns from the kids, which is pretty darn good! My kid went the entire day without a single meltdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *happy dance*
Although, when we got home she spent 3 hours straight watching TV (her anti-social chillax-time, which was well deserved after she was so fantastic today). I can't remember the last time her anxiety was so low - it's a nice feeling to be accepted and have nice kids around, I guess.

I'm super-glad that we went - it's nice to have a chat to other parents who "get it". Who don't judge your kid and say "Are you sure she's autistic?" or "But she seems so normal"... people who get that what they see isn't the whole picture. And all the ladies were lovely and down-to-earth. I've never felt more at ease around people. I felt comfortable, which NEVER happens around people I don't know!!

Can't wait for the next get-together.



3 comments:

  1. It was lovely to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you came too!!it can be soo hard to move out of that comfort zone, I think that all us there have that same issue of 'how is this going to work, and is going to be anything but a complete disaster'. but even though it was my kid that did the ice block on a hot tin roof, I still enjowed meeting you and briefly your lovely kids! we had to do chillin' on the ipad, but always worth it!

    ReplyDelete