Monday 22 October 2012

Explaining about autism

So.... We're sitting in the psychologist's waiting room. There's a little boy of about 4 who's desperate to play with Madd. MADD, however, is in a mood. She just wants to be left alone. She's not taking the toys he's playing with, but she won't share the ones she's playing with.

The mum and dad of the boy are lovely. The boy's mum is trying to encourage their son to leave Madd alone. I'm trying to convince Madd that she is being rude. Neither of us are having much luck.
So... Insert awkward smile and apology from them about their son who's climbing all over my legs while he plays in front of me, and my returned awkward smile and apologies for my kid's refusal to acknowledge their boy exists.

I realised it doesn't matter whether they know Madd is autistic. Because they're not judging her. Or me. And I'm not judging them. These 3 strangers have just taught me something... That not everyone judges my kid's behaviour, they don't give a fig about it. And I'm developing more understanding about what other families might be dealing with.

Yay for understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment