Wednesday 17 October 2012

Haircutting Dilemmas


    So today I noticed, while shopping at a different centre to usual, that a hair salon had a cheap price for haircuts today ($13.95). I looked at the ratty ends of Madd's hair - she had her hair cut in layers last haircut, and as it grows out it's getting very messy and ratty at the ends. So I asked Madd if she'd like to get a hair trim (expecting her to say no as usual), and she surprised me by saying yes!!

So off we went to the salon. We waited for about 10 minutes, and she chatted happily with no signs of anxiety. When it was her turn, she hopped up onto the seat. Usually I'd tell them how much she hates having her hair cut, but I decided not to this time. I figured I'd just see how she went.

It didn't go well.

Not because of my kid, but because of the hairdresser. She looked at Madd's hair, and said "I'm sorry, but I can't cut her hair today. She has nits."
I groaned, and explained to Madd that she had headlice and couldn't have her hair cut today. She didn't have a meltdown or get upset (although she did get an upset look on her face).

We went home, and treated her hair for lice. As I combed her hair out post-treatment, I was pulling out comb-fulls of......

Not eggs. Not lice.
Dandruff.

My first thought was "Crap. The eggs aren't coming out." But as I combed over her hair several thousand (not exaggerating here) more times, there was nothing coming out. And all I could see was dandruff.

All those days of not showering and weeks of refusing to wash her hair have taken their toll on her scalp. So I put her in the shower (forcibly, I had to pin her in the shower because she refused to shower - and with the de-lousing stuff in her hair she needed to wash it out and shampoo it), and washed her hair with anti-dandruff shampoo with antibacterial stuff in it too. So that should help.

So NEXT time I take her to the hairdresser, I must remember to warn them that she has dandruff and NOT lice.

Although I'll admit it was a relief that she didn't actually have lice.

No comments:

Post a Comment