Friday 17 August 2012

frustration, violence, and substitute teachers

     Gotta LOVE it when the teacher goes away on holiday. She told the kids, but didn't think to tell ME about it. I'm glad the kids were warned, especially with Madd's issues with change; but I really should have been made aware.

     Madd was in good spirits when I picked her up from school, I checked her communication book and found no entry. I asked her about it, and her response was "You told me to give it to Mrs H, but Mrs H is on holidays for a couple of weeks." Whoopsie, my mistake for not making a script for days when Mrs H is away.

      She chatted away to me, but then half way home she told me that a boy (M) at school, cut her jumper today. I pulled the car over straight away, and we sat and had a quick chat about it. It turns out that M and Madd constantly argue and niggle at each other until it escalates out of control, and Mrs H knows this issue and separates them. After showing me the cut jumper, she said matter-of-factly "And I punched him. I got in trouble from the teacher." Ohhhh crap.

     So we turned the car around and headed back to the school. We met with the principal, who was great as always in dealing with me when I have issues that need to be addressed. He's very calm and relaxed, but makes you feel like you've been taken seriously.

     I then found out tonight from the parent of one of Madd's friends that she's been getting violent in the yard at playtime. When she gets frustrated or upset, she lashes out; and on one occasion, she's punched her friend in the back.  I've explained to Madd that it's not okay to hit when you get frustrated - it's better to go tell the teacher that something's bothering you.

     So I've written it all down in her communication book for the substitute teacher to deal with. I've given her a heads-up on some of Madd's triggers and how to handle them. Hopefully next week will be as smooth as it can be, considering her teacher is away.


No comments:

Post a Comment