Tuesday 21 August 2012

Substitute Teacher

Madd has a substitute teacher for 4 weeks. Madd informed me of this on Friday when I asked why her communication book hadn't been written in. "You told me to give it to Mrs H, but Mrs H is away on holiday until next term." Gotta love literal kids :/
    So I wrote a note in it for the teacher who's taking over for the next 4 weeks.

 I was really hopeful when she wrote in Madd's communication book that she wanted to meet with me after school the next day, and have a chat about Madd. Things did NOT go the way I wanted - I was hoping to fill her in about Madd's issues, triggers and needs, but instead I got told that she'd been defiant all day, and that it was a normal reaction for a kid with a substitute teacher and NOT related to her Aspergers. She then went on to say that she kept Madd in at lunchtime because of her behaviour. UGH!!!! I was so stunned with everything she said that I didn't say anything. Then she practically kicked me out to get to a staff meeting on time. Not impressed. Ash is going to talk to her on Friday, and if she's not receptive to what he says he's going to talk to the principal straight after. She told me that she "didn't have time" to write in the communication book every day, and that there was no point - if there was any issues, she'd definitely write them in.  The way I explained her Aspergers and ADHD to her is by saying that there's something in her that makes her have trouble with sitting still sometimes, and trouble understanding people and making friends and playing like most kids. When Madd tried explaining that to the teacher after being told she was being "defiant" (she was reacting to social problems with a friend at playtime and didn't tell the teacher), the teacher said to her that it was crap and that she needs to make better choices. EXCUSE ME?? I know my kid needs to learn how to "behave", but her behaviour was a reaction to her being stressed at playtime!!! WHY can't the stupid fricking teacher just understand that Madd is NOT like other kids, even though she often seems like them. Her behaviour was her way of saying "I'm stressed about something and I need you to pry it out of me". Soooo angry right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment