Wednesday 29 August 2012

A Decision Is Made

    Well we've made a possibly life-changing decision for Madd - at the end of this year, she is going to change schools. Her school is a great little school, but it's just not a great fit for her. The new school has on-site counselling, an aide that floats around the school wherever she's needed, and they seem like a really ASD-friendly school. All the kids seemed happy (other than the one who fell over but was comforted by not only the Assistant Principal but another teacher and quite a few kids). It seems like a nice little school, and a very good fit for Madd.

     I haven't told her school that she's leaving yet. I'll tackle that one tomorrow when I drop her off. But I'm super-excited. I think the final decision was made easy by the fact that Madd seemed so happy and settled while we were there, and she hasn't been stressed out this afternoon either. She stayed home from school today so that we could take her to see her possible-new-school.

     They run a "transition program" in November/December, so we have to make sure she's enrolled by November. She really wants to change schools, she said "I know there could be mean people at the new school, but there's really mean kids at my school now." So she wants to move, and she does understand that she won't be with the same kids. I'm glad Ash is now on board, I really feel it's the right choice for her.

So tomorrow I'll speak to the school about her moving at the end of the year.
I know we've made the right decision.
Haven't told the in-laws yet, but my mum thinks it's a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment